Goldealers Blog

How to determine your Krugerrand Value

Image of a pile of Krugerrand Coins

Post dedicated to finding out your Krugerrand value and a little bit about the history of the South African Krugerrand.

Krugerrand Specifications

Denomination Diameter (mm) Thickness (mm) Gross Weight (g) Fineness (ppt) Gold Content (g)
Full – 1oz 32.77 2.840 33.930 916 31.1035
Half – 1oz 27.07 2.215 16.965 916 15.5518
Quarter – 1oz 22.06 1.888 8.483 916 7.7759
Tenth – 1oz 16.55 1.350 3.393 916 3.1104

Because the Krugerrand contains exactly 1 troy ounce of gold, it is extremely easy to determine the value of your Krugerrand. By simply visiting our London Fixes page, you will be able to get an instant market valuation for your Krugerrand because precious metals fixes are published in troy ounces.

Krugerrand Value & Denominations

It is also worth noting that since 1980, several other denominations of Krugerrand were minted.

Simply select South Africa from the dropdown box below to view a list of Krugerrand Denominations as well as respective Krugerrand Value

GBP per coin

Market Value We Buy
Sell Coins

Krugerrand – The Name

The name Krugerrand is a concatenation of the surname Kruger (from Paul Kruger who is depicted on the obverse) and rand which is the unit of currency in South Africa.

Krugerrand Properties

Closeup of Krugerrand coin

Closeup of Krugerrand coin

The Krugerrand is 32.77mm in diameter and 2.84mm thick. It’s total weight is 1.0909 troy ounces or 33.93g. The Krugerrand is a gold coin, alloyed with copper. It is 22ct gold, whereby 91.67% is pure gold, and the remaining 8.33% is made of Copper. This means that the Krugerrand’s pure gold content is exactly 1 troy ounce or 31.1035g.

If you are looking to sell your Krugerrand coin, we would recommend that you find a dealer who is able to offer around this bullion market value figure.

At the time of writing, Goldealers are currently paying 98% of the London Gold Fix for Krugerrand Coins. Please note that dependent on demand and market conditions, we may increase or decrease our buying rates for Krugerrand coins for time to time, so it is always worth checking our precious metals prices from time to time. Feel free to use our online calculator to get an instant valuation for your Krugerrands.

Buy Krugerrands

If you are looking to purchase Krugerrands, Please contact us on 01206 585 000 where we will be more than happy to provide you a quotation.

  1. AnitaAnita03-01-2013

    Hi Goldealers, just a quick note to let you know that I have filled in your packing form and popped 11 Krugerrands in the post to you so you should receive them tomorrow or Monday.

    thank you


  2. AnitaAnita03-06-2013

    My Krugerrands arrived with Goldealers on Monday. I received a call just before 11:30 on Monday to confirm the price. By midday, £11169.73 had arrived in my account – Super fast, super efficient!

    I have already recommended you to some friends.

    thanks again,


  3. Susan WilliamsSusan Williams12-07-2013

    I have a 1974 1 oz Kruger Rand for sale. Can you advise how much you would pay please? Thanks

  4. GoldealersGoldealers12-09-2013

    Dear Susan, thanks for your enquiry.

    The price we pay for Krugerrands change daily in-line with the London Bullion Markets. Based on today’s price (9 Dec 2013), we will pay you £719.96. The Bullion Value for a 1oz Krugerrand today is £749.95.

    You can value your Krugerrand on any given day by using our coin calculator Bullion Coin Calculator. Simply select South Africa from the list of countries and then select 1oz Krugerrand from the list of coins, then add 1 Krugerrand to the quote.

    Should you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to get in touch.

  5. Jayne RickettsJayne Ricketts12-10-2013

    Hi I have a 1980 1ounce Krugerrand please can you advise me how much it is worth?

  6. GoldealersGoldealers12-10-2013

    Dear Jayne, thanks for your enquiry.

    Based on today’s bullion price, we can pay you £727.44 per 1oz Krugerrand. Prices change daily at approximately 11am in-line with the precious metals markets.

    If you are looking to sell your Krugerrand, you can value your Krugerrand on any given day using our precious metals calculator.

    Once you have valued your Krugerrand, click “Sell now” (the big gold button) and complete the online form to sell using our postal service.

    Alternatively, you are more than welcome to come and visit us in Colchester, Essex. Please call us on 01206 585 000 should you wish to book an appointment.

    Kind regards